Monday, September 17, 2012

The Studio

Long ago, when I was doing Garden Design work, we built a studio out in the garden as my office. I did a little business and a lot of art in there and I really loved it. But when I got a full time job with the resorts and was no longer working for myself, I used it less and less.
Then my son lost his job and had to move home for a while. I was thinking 3 months. It turned out to be 3 years. But now he is gainfully employed again and living out on his own and I reinherited my studio. But it was a mess! Below are before and after pictures.

The walls were very grimy from candles, smoke, incense and who knows what else. The cork was stained and buckling.
I repainted EVERYTHING! I took off the old cork bulletin board beneath the chair rail and I will create a mosaic in this area. I still have some things to hang on the wall, but it is looking better, if a bit messy. I'm a bit sad when I see a very clean studio. Too often, cleanliness and strict order in a studio mean creative avoidance.
 


Again...Grimy walls, and unpainted bookshelf.













Now everything is bright and cheerful. The toys on the shelf are for my Fairy Goddaughter, Nola, who comes to play while her mum and I create. Bookshelf is painted, all is organized (yet still a bit untidy).













The back wall was a nightmare. Pieces of tape had peeled off the surface of the wallboard. The air conditioner filter had never been cleaned. Yuck.













New paint, cork boards, clean air conditioner...And a mirror for good Feng Shui. The bright orange blanket on the back of the chair is Nola's.













No words needed.



 














I had to photoshop this picture because it was too dark, but you can get the jist of it. Outside of the door is the studio cat, Foos.
I apologize for the big gaps in this post. It has been a while since I posted on my old blogs and things have changed with Blogger. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon.



 



 

2 comments:

  1. what a transformation! it looks like a lovely place to work, and blessed with a studio cat too...perfect!

    Leanne x
    talesofsimpledays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly looks very cheerful and fresh now and a lovely place to enjoy with your friends.

    ReplyDelete